Total Pageviews

Monday, August 8, 2011

Disappearing Act

*This was the winning entry I submitted a few years ago to Tonygeary.net for the writing contest it had. It started the journey into my writing of Luke and Laura fan*fiction.  {ALL writing on this site is © by Jhill Bosher-Perran and is my property. Please do not copy or use it without prior permission from me. It is for your reading enjoyment only. Thank you.}


Here was the question we had to answer: Where did Luke take Laura? [for the summer]

"I won’t ask where you’re going," Nikolas said. " I know it’s best this way, but I want you to tell me what alias you’ll be using. I’ll set-up a Suisse bank account so that the American authorities won’t be able to track your moves."
Luke had underestimated this kid. He replied. "Lloyd Carmichael."
Nikolas nodded, and continued. "Sergei Kuznetsov is Captain of The Titan. Tell me where you want to board, and I’ll have it waiting for you."
"Halifax, Nova Scotia."
"Okay," Nikolas said, handing Luke a business card. "Here’s his cell phone number. He’ll be our contact. When you get safely to wherever you’re going, call him and tell him ‘The Titan’s renovation is underway’. If you need more money, tell him the renovation will cost whatever dollar amount you need, and I’ll wire it into your Suisse account."
Luke studied him for a minute. "I’ve misjudged you."
"I may be a Cassadine, Luke, but half of me is sitting out there in your car, and her blood runs just as strongly through my veins."
"I think her blood is the stronger of the two," Luke said, reflectively.
"I won’t deny that." Nikolas agreed. "Take my cell phone. Your using it won’t arouse any suspicion."
Luke patted him on the back.
"Take care of my mother."
Luke looked him squarely in the eyes. "Always."
Lucky hurried into the house with the contents from Luke’s safe in his hands. "Here are the passports and cash, Dad."
Luke looked at Lulu Carmichael’s passport and remembered the last time it had been used. It was a happier time for them. "Thanks, Cowboy," he said.
"You need anything else?" Lucky asked.
"No. I’m good," Luke said, looking at Nikolas.
"I’ve got to hit the road."
Lucky hugged his father. "Be careful."
Luke nodded. "Take care of your sister."
Lucky echoed Nikolas’ sentiment. "Take care of Mom."
"You don’t have to worry about that," Luke said. "Your mother is in safe hands."
"I know she’d want you to get her away from Scott."
"I agree," Nikolas said.
"Until I’m six-feet-under," Luke told them. "I’ll always protect her from Baldwin!"

* * *
Luke took Nikolas’ cell phone and dialed the familiar number. "The Titan pulls out of Nova Scotia tomorrow at three. You up for some sailing?"
He heard the familiar response and smiled...

* * *

Robert walked into the ship’s bar. He knew that’s where he’d find Luke.
Luke smiled when he saw Robert stroll in. "I’m getting too old for this, Man!"
"Oh come on Mate! What are you...like nine in dog years?"
"Not quite!" Luke said, indignantly.
"Who’d ever believe we’d be on this old tub again, eh?" Robert said, looking around.
"Yeah," Luke said, handing Robert a scotch on-the-rocks. "We’ve come a long way from our cargo-hold days."
Robert laughed. "Those were some good times," he said, sipping the single-malt. "So, what big adventure have I signed up for?"
"I need you to meet with Dr. Pierre Bourgogne," Luke said. " He’s been doing extensive research on the permanent effects of LS-49."
Robert’s eyebrow shot up. "Any leads?"
"He’s made some interesting discoveries," Luke said.
"Robin’s been following his research closely since November, and has kept me updated. After meeting with him last December, it appears the original trial tests could be flawed - the catatonia might not be permanent."
"Sounds promising."
"I’m banking on that!" Luke agreed. "I was supposed to meet him on May 26th, but this damn custody hearing screwed everything up!"
"That judge should be on the receiving end of a bullet."
"Sonny has some plans for the bastard!"
"Cement shoes?"
"No, man!" Luke smirked. "He’s got something slower in mind. I think it involves a cattle prod."
"Good Ole’ Sonny..."
"Yeah, glad he’s on my side," Luke paused, searching for the right words. "I need to get word to Tracy that I’m fine."
"How is the old ball and chain?"
"She came through for me, Robert, when she helped me get Laura out of Shadybrook," Luke said. "I guess love can make a girl do strange things."
Robert said in mock disgust. "I’m trying to enjoy my drink here! And don’t kid yourself, Mate!
Saying that Tracy knows the meaning of love is like saying Medea knows the meaning of motherhood!"
"You’ve got a point," Luke said, humored. "But she’s been a good ally."
"Don’t be a bloody ass! She’s working an angle!"
Luke feigned shock. "You’re saying this to the master of angle-working?"
"I’m saying ‘watch your back!’," Robert replied, cautioning his best friend.
"I have no illusions about Spanky."
Robert sipped his scotch before asking, "Are you going to be able to get yourself out of this relationship-travesty unscathed?"
"When the timing’s right," Luke said, reflectively. "It’s all in the timing, Man."
"Now, there’s the bastard I know and love!"
Luke raised his class in salute, then asked. "Can you use your contacts at the World Health Agency to get us into this medical conference? It’s invitation only."
"Invitation only, eh?" Robert said, considering the request. "It won’t be easy, but when has that ever stopped us?"
Luke thought for a moment. "I seem to recall never," and they clinked glasses, laughing.
"Right," he agreed. "So, where is this conference being held?
"In Amsterdam," Luke replied. "We’re going to Amstel."
"Amsterdam," Robert said, pleasantly surprised. "I hear the weather’s lovely there this time of year!"
"It sure beats the hell out of Caracas in the summertime!" Luke exclaimed, sarcastically. If they could save the world from freezing, he thought, they damn sure could find a cure for his angel!"
"Well, Mate!" Robert said. " You know I’ve always had a sweet spot in my heart for Laura. I’ll do whatever you need."
"I knew I could count on you, Friend!" Luke said, realizing that these two, old dogs still had a few tricks left in them. With Robert along, it felt like old times. The only difference: the world they were going to save this time was Luke’s.

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment