Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 7, 2011

What "Emphatically Luke and Laura" is all about...

I have been a Luke and Laura fan since I was a young teen, which has been 30-something years now.  I started watching the show because of Genie Francis.  She brought me to General Hospital, and she kept me with the show.  When she left, I left.  When she returned, I returned.  In the meantime, I've had stories in my mind about backstory and continuing story involving this golden couple.  I was dismayed in 2002 when Genie left GH, though I understood the reasons why.  Still, this was my hour get-a-way from the stressful and crazy rigamarole of daily life.  It was my escape - the hour a day I gave myself to "escape" after a long day of, at first, school/college, then work.
When Genie left the show in 1983-84 [brief stints in both years] I began watching Santa Barbara.  I returned to GH when Luke and Laura came back to Port Charles in 1993. 
Five years ago, I entered a Luke and Laura fanfiction contest and, to my surprise, won.  Several people emailed and asked me to consider continuing my storytelling.  I'm a Luke and Laura purist.  The vision that Gloria Monty gave us back in the late 70's and Genie and Tony sold to us back in the day, is what the truth of this story and golden couple is for me.  I've never bought into the offensive and ridiculous re-writes of recent years, that have attempted to whittle away, undermine and destroy the legacy.  This story belongs to the fans who helped save the show from cancellation 32 years ago.  Sadly, I'm not sure if the fans can save GH this time, nor if we'll ever get our Luke and Laura sunset ending.  Still, I've tried to keep the story alive and real for some of the fans who've missed them and longed to see them again [along with me].  It was in 2005 that I stumbled upon a wonderful group of people at Luke and Laura Unrevised who shared my passion and addiction for this story.  It was a blessing!  I'm sure that there are people out there who don't get the involvement in serial dramas.  The only thing I can say to that is that there are just as many people who don't get those who avidly follow sports, comic tales, action adventures or futuristic stories.  [I'll see your Superbowl and raise your Trekkie ;-) - shout out to Jonathan Frakes!!!]
I've got a regular, small following, and that has always done my heart good and filled it full.  However, I was going through my archives today, and thought it might be a great idea to put the saga in one place and open it up to anyone who wants to re-visit this golden couple continue to do so.
This has never been done for money nor have I ever received any for it.  It's just one fan's way of keeping this story alive, because many people have missed them - ME included.  I was one of a small group of Genie's fans who created a campaign called "Genie's Angels" several years ago.  We vigorously fought to get Genie back on General Hospital.  We worked tirelessly for the last several years on her behalf.  Sadly, our efforts [save once] fell on deaf ears with TPTB.
In any event, there's a lot of material just sitting in my filing system, collecting virtual dust.  I'm a writer, and I believe that stories are meant to be shared, read, enjoyed and treasured.  My loyal readers treasure these tales, and I cannot thank them enough for encouraging me to keep going, because they never tire of hearing what's happening with Luke and Laura from my perspective.
If you'd care to join the club, I'd love to share my stories with you.  It is simply one of the greatest love stories ever created in fiction, in my opinion, and this is my way of honoring that legacy.
I think if you ask most Luke and Laura fans, they'll tell you that the last 32 years with this couple has been a wild ride.  It's an addiction.  It's a passion.  It's a diversion.  It's a love affair!  Most of all, it's a simple pleasure.
I hope that's what you find as you read.
Welcome to this side street in my blogging neighborhood.
Blessings!
Jhill

P.S. I chose the adverb "emphatically" because it means: Standing out in a striking and clearly defined way. [Webster's Dictionary]  I can think of no better description for this couple.
Stay tuned...My Luke and Laura ride will begin shortly...

3 comments:

  1. 2/22/14 - Dear Friends,
    I have been SO neglectful of this blog. Please accept my apologies. I have SO much material to input and will try to do so in the next few months. Thank you to those who have read the blog. Blessings to you all~

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2/25/15: Once again, Friends, forgive me for being neglectful. I've had some health issues this last year, which has hindered me from focusing on this blog. I have a wealth of chapters left to post. I promise I'll try to get to it this year. In the meantime, I hope those of you who have read the blog, will return to it in the next few months. Bless you all~ Jhill
    P.S. The motto here as I created for Twitter: ♥#LnL8♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Website designated for the UNREVISED version of Luke and Laura, where fans can gather to discuss these beloved characters.

    ReplyDelete